Why would I want to connect my toothbrush to my phone? Our Oral-B App gives you access to professional dental hygiene guidance and statistics, customization options for your toothbrush and the 2-minute timer, and even achievements, all of which are great for keeping on top of your dental hygiene routine, and making the most of your Oral-B toothbrush!
What do I need? An Oral-B SmartSeries or Genius electric toothbrush. Many of our Oral-B PRO electric toothbrushes also include the term ‘SmartSeries’ in their name, and this means they’re able to connect to our Oral-B App. All of our Oral-B Genius toothbrushes can connect to the Oral-B App.
A compatible smartphone. For Android phones, that’s one which runs Android OS 7.1.1, and for iPhones they need to run iOS 10.3.1. In both cases, they need to be compatible with Bluetooth 4.0, or Bluetooth Smart. The Oral-B App is not available for Windows phones.
The Oral-B App. See below for where to get it. The latest version is 4.2, and it’s important to keep it updated! (Most smartphones will update it automatically when a new version is available.)
Where do I get the Oral-B App? You can get our Oral-B App for iPhones on the Apple Store, and for Android phones on the Play Store.
How do I connect the toothbrush to the App? First, please make sure Bluetooth is activated on the phone. Most phones have this setting prominently displayed in the settings, but if you are not sure, refer to the phone’s manual, or contact its manufacturer or your service provider.
Next, double-check that Bluetooth is activated on your Oral-B electric toothbrush. Pressing the ‘mode’ button should make the ‘wave’ pattern on the handle glow blue. If it does not, try holding the ‘on/off’ button and the ‘mode’ button at the same time for 3 seconds to switch it on.
Launch the Oral-B App on the phone. It should open onto the main menu.
Lastly, turn your Oral-B electric toothbrush on. The toothbrush and App should automatically connect to each other, and the timer on the App will start.
Note: You do not need to ‘pair’ your Oral-B electric toothbrush with your phone, like you do with some other Bluetooth devices. Attempting to do so will ask you for a 4-digit PIN, and this is not needed. Instead, just have Bluetooth active on the phone and toothbrush, open the App, and switch the toothbrush on.
It didn’t work! – Troubleshooting Tips
Oh dear. Please see below for some troubleshooting tips.
- Make sure again that Bluetooth is active on the smartphone and your Oral-B electric toothbrush, as noted in steps 1 and 2 above.
- Don’t try to ‘pair’ your toothbrush with your smartphone – just open the App and switch the toothbrush on, and they’ll connect automatically.
- Double-check that you’ve got the latest Oral-B App. That’s version 4.2 at the moment. If you’ve got an older version, visit the Apple Store or Play Store to get it updated to the latest version.
- Try turning Bluetooth on your phone off and on again. If that doesn’t work, try restarting your phone completely. This will make sure that no existing Bluetooth connection is in the way, and the toothbrush and App can create a fresh connection.
- If using an iPhone, double-check that you’ve updated it to iOS 10.3.1. To see how to update, consult your phone’s manual, or speak with the manufacturer, or your service provider.
- If on an Android phone, double-check that you’ve got it updated to Android OS 7.1.1. There are some known issues with the Bluetooth connectivity on Android OS 7.0, and these have been fixed in 7.1.1. To see how to update, consult your phone’s manual, or speak with the manufacturer, or your service provider. Note: This update is currently ‘rolling out’ to Android users, and should be available to you soon if it is not already. For more information about this, please speak to your phone’s manufacturer or your service provider.
Got any questions at all, or any feedback or comments about our Oral-B App? Let us know! You can get in touch by posting a comment below with the ‘add a reply’ box below, calling us on 1-800-566-7252 (9am-5pm EST, Monday to Friday), or sending an email on our website. We’d love to hear from you!